Sunday 28 November 2010

The Cook, Strauss and Lazarus Show - Day Four at Brisbane

Even though I am a Newcastle United supporter, my default setting as a sports fan is optimistic. I suspect that this is a consequence of being brought up by the most pessimistic supporter in the world, but this is neither the time nor the place for psychological analysis.

In spite of this naturally postive outlook I was expecting to get up this morning and, at best, see Australia on the verge of vistory. In my bleaker moments I had visions of coming downstairs in the early hours of the morning and seeing the words ‘Sky Sports Replay’ in the top corner of a screen showing England 108-8.
To continue the theme, when I did switch the telly on only the bottom half of the score was showing due to the ever so helpful bar showing me which channel I was on, so my initial reaction was that England were seven down. It was a little early for vistory jigs, but when the screen cleared I must confess to a moment of joy when I saw that England were 270-1.

Alastair Cook, whose place before the tour was a matter of great speculation, batted superbly. His balance was right and he was ruthless on anything short and off line, of which there was a considerable amount. Strauss, in truth, was less assured, getting away with a number of edges and a horrible dropped catch by Mitchell Johnson, but his century was a triumph of character and he deserves all of the plaudits that will be coming his way. I wrote before the series about England’s strength of character and this was ample evidence, with Jonathan Trott also digging in effectively. England will need to bat well again tomorrow, but their efforts today have laid the foundations for a creditable draw.

Australia were looking short of ideas by the time the light closed in. The 7-2 field for Hilfenhaus looked ill-advised and Mitchell Johnson, a few hostile deliveries aside, is doing little to change the opinions of England supporters. If England do emerge with a draw tomorrow then the soul seaching will be Australia’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment